Saturday, December 25, 2010

Facebook Promotion

So how the heck do you market your website with Facebook?

I've built fan pages, I've tried Facebook ads, and I've built Facebook apps, all in an effort to get more traffic.

My Facebook pages don't attract a lot of traffic, but I don't do anything to promote them. To be honest, I'm still not sure why so many websites immediately try to shuffle their visitors off to their Facebook pages.

Creating a fan page is simple enough, and for me, it was a small investment of time, and I'm not going to spend a lot more trying to keep it active. Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I'm using Facebook to attract visitors to my website, not the other way around.

With the apps, it's been a different story. I see these as doorway sites that have the sole purpose of getting users back to Facebook, where the apps are most effective, and the pageviews are still mine.

The goal for me was to generate new traffic, and the viral nature of social marketing seems to be kicking in now.

Here are the apps I have developed so far:

Maptera
Zookmarks
ContactClick

Now, if you're lazy, rich or just plain savvy, it turns out you can sort of bypass all the work and just purchase Facebook fans (or Twitter followers):

Buy Fans and Followers

No comments: